We All Love The Original Del Taco!
The only way to explain the quality of the Original Del Taco is to visit one. Located in Barstow, halfway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, sits the three Original Del Taco Stores.
In 1954, Ed Hackbarth, an Air Force veteran, got a job managing Bells Hamburgers, owned by Bell, founder of Taco Bell. By 1961 Hackbarth was on his own, founding Del Taco in the small desert town of Yermo. The first Del Taco restaurant stands at 38434 W. Yermo Road, Yermo.
With a menu of 19¢ tacos, 24¢ cheeseburgers, tostadas, and fries, Del Taco brought in $169 in sales on its first day in business (The equivalent of 900 tacos).
In 1964 Hackbarth partnered with David Jameson and started franchising. In 1976 Hackbarth and Jameson sold the chain with about 50 stores, although Ed retained the rights to the Barstow Del Taco Stores. Today there are over 500 Del Taco Stores in the US.